Wing and fuselage finish

Finally got my covering tools delivered. The covering iron was much easier to use then the household iron I tried before, and the hot-air gun was a huge surprise. I've never used hot air to stretch Monokote (or Monokote-like) covering, but the results I managed to achieve would not have been possible by simply using at iron.



After completing both sides of the wing I decided to adorn it with some decorations. The bottom of the wing will get a checker box pattern in red, and the top of the wing will get a few red stripes to break the monotone yellow.

I am using the Windex method to activate the glue and fix the red decorations to the yellow covering. I was told that I could do this only with original Monokote covering material, which is what I am using. So far, the Windex method works well, the liquid dries up, and the squares seem to be securely fixed.




The fuselage finish has a natural balsa look with only a few coats of varnish. I am using Sanding Sealer for this instead of Dope, which is what I used to use way back when I started out this hobby as a kid. The process is simple: sanding the balsa and applying a coat of sealer, then repeated this at least twice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wing, part 1

Wing, part 3

Completed